Timberland Regional Library
Serving Grays Harbor, Lewis, Mason, Pacific and Thurston Counties
To provide a direction for the use of public display spaces in the Timberland Regional Library (TRL).
This policy applies to all TRL facilities and grounds.
Timberland Regional Libraries have spaces or furnishings that are used to exhibit mount displays supplementing the TRL collection, highlighting aspects of library programs, or showing artwork. Such spaces may, when not being used for library displays, be offered for use by individuals or nonprofit organizations desiring to exhibit mount displays for public view, under guidelines and procedures established by the Executive Director. Display space is made available to such persons or groups on equal terms, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of group members.
- TRL does not assume liability for injuries, loss, or damage to personal property that occur as a result of exhibiting such displays on TRL property.
- The provision of display space for public use does not constitute TRL endorsement of the beliefs or viewpoints that may be advocated by the displays, or by the persons or organizations responsible for the displays; displays may not be presented or publicized in such a way as to suggest such endorsement.
- Displays may not contain any of the following: explosives, biologically or chemically hazardous material, apparatus which produces noise while on display, perishables, items illegal to possess, speech that is not constitutionally protected, or materials which when displayed may violate election laws. The Executive Director may prohibit other items deemed to present an immediate, demonstrated threat to the public.
- The exhibiting organization or individual is responsible for mounting and removing the display at a time and in a manner specified by TRL Staff.
- TRL retains the right to deny space to any user whose use or planned use of the space does not comply with this policy.
- Patrons concerned about current or future displays may use the form and procedures in place for Patron Opinion of Library Materials.
- TRL may delegate the day-to-day operation of display cases to the Friends of the Library with review by the Library Manager or Library Supervisor. In such cases, the Friends are acting as the agent of the library and will follow all aspects of this policy as if they were TRL staff.
- Display cases are not to be used for commercial purposes; items on display shall not be marked to indicate that they are for sale.
- Bulletin boards are not to be used for advertising or for commercial notices.
- Any notice to be considered for posting must be submitted to the Library Manager or Library Supervisor for approval. Only authorized library staff may post notices on the public bulletin board.
- Notices may be removed after three weeks, or when they are no longer timely, or when space is required for library needs.
- A request for the use of these spaces must be submitted to the Library Manager for approval. Library Managers and Library Supervisors should contact their supervisor to review the request.
- Depending on the length of display, as well as terms and conditions, a Memorandum of Understanding may need to be signed and executed.
Display case: A cabinet with one or more transparent glass or plastic surfaces, used to display objects for viewing.
Bulletin board: A wall-mounted notification board to be used for the posting of notices of library business or activities, public service items of educational or cultural interest to the community, and non-profit organizational announcements.
Exhibit space: Any other space in a library facility or on library grounds that may be used to display or exhibit objects for viewing or interaction.
Review Date 3/1/2027
Policy Number: 028
Policy Revision Dates:
#029 - 1/1/2020
#01 – 7/23/2003
By the enactment of this policy the Board of Trustees of Timberland Regional Library is concurrently rescinding any prior policy or procedure within TRL that is either in conflict with or expansive of the matters addressed in this policy.